Rocky looking big and strong
Rocky on the rocks - our first Seal pup
Today we have launched an exciting new experience to visit England’s largest breeding population of Grey Seals. This will allow you to witness first hand the trials and tribulations that young pups face in the first weeks of their life on the Farne Islands.
In accordance with Natural England (to minimise seal disturbance) we are offering a very limited landing experience to see adult and pups on Staple Island. Only two boats per day will be licensed to land between the 13th and the 31st of October with all landing parties accompanied by National Trust rangers.
However please note the following information:
• Tours are expected to commence on Saturday the 13th of October although this depends entirely on the date of our first seal pup on Staple Island! Please see Farne Islands blog for news (http://farnephoto.blogspot.com)
• Viewing of the Grey Seals will be at a safe distance to ensure public safety and ensure no undue disturbance is caused to the seals. Visitors are respectfully requested to take instruction from National Trust rangers during their visit.
• Tours are weather permitting and the National Trust is advising that people should wear sturdy footwear and warm clothing, including waterproofs.
• The Staple Island landing charge will be £10 for adults and £5 for children for both National Trust members and non-members.
• Tours take place at 12 noon and 1pm daily departing from Seahouses Harbour (weather dependant). Spaces are limited and booking is advisable through the Glad Tidings boat company on 01665 720308. Please note however that there is a separate charge for the boat trip.
• Inner Farne will remain open as usual from 10.30am to 5pm throughout the seal tour period and normal admission charges apply.